Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Something Awesome #7 - The Hub Network

It's no secret that I love TV and movies. I write about them all the time on this very blog. I was born in the late eighties, and so when I was very young, I watched a lot of re-runs of eighties shows, like GI Joe and Transformers. Even though I grew pretty difinitively into a ninties kid, thriving on things like Nick and Cartoon Network and their Nicktoons and Cartoon Cartoons, I always had a special place in my heart for Transformers, Ninja Turtles, and other similar properties of the decade, from TV to movies. While some people consider Hasbro to be nothing more than a cash cow, making shows like Transformers as extra long commercials to sell their toys, I came to really love such Hasbro properties, and so when, a few years back, Hasbro and Discovery Kids announced a joint venture, The Hub Network, which promised to renew and reinvigorate these properties, I was overjoyed. Ever since then I have loved to tune into the Hub, which has come to honor all past media, airing new Hasbro shows alongside the old, and other great shows such as Batman (with Adam West), Batman: the Animated Series, Happy Days and its spinoffs, Goosebumps, Lois and Clark, and a multitude of other old TV shows and movies.

You can tune into The Hub any given night and get lost in a classic of decades past, or a charming piece of original programming.  Even though its target audience is families, I really enjoy the network, as I enjoy family programming. The Hub also really seems to be stepping things up recently in terms of original programming, and aquiring existing sindicated programming, so much so that I really look forward to seeing what the Hub comes to offer going into 2014. Yes, I love gritty network shows, cable dramas, sitcoms, and supernatural suspence series as much as the next guy, and therefor The Hub's isn't the only lineup that I currently enjoy, but TV can be pessimistic these days, and quite frankly there are times when I'd just rather take in some family-friendly optimism. If you're the same way, The Hub might be for you. Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to go turn on The Hub and watch the original Karate Kid. Come back tomorrow for another Something Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment