Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Something Awesome #2 - Spaghetti Tacos

My favorite rediculous food, thought up by my favorite ridiculous TV older brother, Spencer from iCarly, Spaghetti Tacos were something which I wanted to experience for myself from the first moment that I saw them on screen. I consider myself a pretty good cook, so I decided to create for myself, and anyone willing to try it with me, a version of the dish resembling its fictional counterpart. Using a tip from an online food blog to provide a missing piece, this is what I came up with:

Ingredients:

-1 lb ground beef
-8 oz uncooked spaghetti
-aprox. 12 oz of your favorite tomato pasta sauce
-1 1 oz pouch of Hidden Valley Original Ranch Mix
-Crunchy Taco Shells
-Shredded Mozzarella cheese

Instructions:

Step one is pretty simple. Add the ground beef to a skillet and start browning it as you would if you were making a meat sauce. Add the ranch mix to the meat and as you break it apart, work the mix into it. keep going until the meat is browned completely. Now hang on, because this is where it gets strange.

For step two, if you zone out for a minute, you might think you're making chilli. For this step we're going to add the uncooked spaghetti, the pasta sauce, and the browned beef to a large pot, and add enough water that the spaghetti is completely submerged. Now, turn it on to boil.

This is when the reciepe gets tricky. Once the contents of the pot begins to boil, turn it down to medium and cover it, leaving it open enough to vent, and stir very often to prevent sticking as you cook the excess moisture out of the mixture and cook the pasta all at once. If the water cooks out before the pasta is done, add more until it is. Carefully allow the liquid to cook out until the mixture is quite thick, as thick as you'd want taco filling.

Step four is easy. Heat the taco shells as instructed on the box.

Finally, take a pasta spoon or a pair of tongs and, again, carefully drop pasta filling into the shells and top with shredded cheese. This brings us right to the best and easiest part: the eating! Be careful, though, because it'll be really hot to start. It also might be a good idea to let the tacos sit a few minutes before eating anyway to let the shells soften a bit.

And that's really it. I've made these a couple times. I love them, and everyone I've made them for has loved them. Maybe you will too. Come back tomorrow for another Something Awesome, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment