Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Goodbye to James Avery

I just learned that James Avery, the actor known for playing Uncle Phil on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air died today at the age of 68 due to complications related to a heart surgery. Though not the most prolific actor ever, no one who saw him play the antagonist to Will Smith's protagonist will ever forget his fantastic over-the-top presense or flair. While I didn't watch Fresh Prince much as a child, when I did Uncle Phil was always one of my favorite parts of the show. He gave so much of himself to that role, to making people laugh.

More memorable to me, however, was another antagonist played by Avery: the Shredder from the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series from the 1980's. In a series which worked just as hard to make you laugh as it did to excite or to thrill, Avery played one of my favorite all-time villains. His Shredder could go from being hysterical to threatening in the span of a single line. All accounts would suggest that Avery was just as fun-loving as his talent for comedy would suggest, and while I clearly never knew the man myself, I feel it is worth saying that the world feels like a sadder place to me today with him gone.

We'll miss you, Mr. Avery. Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment