Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Last Dragonborn - The Journal of Johan Abbot #7


---Last Seed, 24th, 4E 201---

  I write this early in the morning. Farkas and I fought all through the night at Dustman's Cairn. It turns out that Farkas and the other members of the Companions' inner Circle are Werewolves! Not the mindless and insane supernatural beasts that you hear stories about, but men who can become powerful beasts, yet retain their faculties. I must admit that I find such a thing appealing. Farkas used the form of the beast to defeat a group of five warriors of the Silver Hand, who seem to be Werewolf hunters at war with the Companions in secret.

  The Silver Hand were strong and well equipped. I found myself often shooting around corners, healing myself, and even summoning the more taxing of my conjurable creatures, the Flame Atronach that I affectionately call "Betti". As always she fought hard for me, but left me with little Magika after each summons.

  Farkas and I are exhausted. We have set up camp off of the road and plan to trade watches until tomorrow morning, the 25th, when we will head back to Whiterun. I have brought food enough for both of us, and there is a stream nearby for water. If anything, I'm worried about another attack by the Silver Hand.

  In my pack I have the fragment of Wuthraad, but that is not all that I received in the halls of the ancient barrow. Deep within I discovered another of the etched walls, and received power from it as I did the wall in Bleak Falls. In my mind I see a word, "Yol", but I know not what it means. I do, however, recall the dragon at the watchtower saying it when he spat fire, and since defeating that dragon, I understand that the power of the walls comes in the form of words, and I understand the word I learned from the first wall, "Fus", which means force. Must I kill another dragon to glean understanding of this new power as well?

  Where did these walls come from? What do they have to do with my emerging powers as the Dragonborn? Farkas cares not, and offers no opinion. He is a man of actions, not words. There may be, in fact, no answer to these questions that has withstood the test of time, but if answers do exist, I'd like to find them. Perhaps the Greybeards have the answers? Am I ready to answer their summons? I do not know.

  I also find myself reflecting on the final battle in the Cairn between Farkas and I and a group of upwards of twenty undead, in the room with the Word Wall. Never before have I fought so many at once, and yet I found that I enjoyed the thrill. I blame my Nord blood.
 
Mods Mentioned in this Entry:
-N/A


No comments:

Post a Comment