Friday, May 23, 2014

The Last Dragonborn - The Journal of Johan Abbot #5


---Last Seed, 21nd, 4E 201---

  Today, at the shrine of Kynareth, I met one of the infamous Afflicted, a Nord named Odvar. He had come to Whiterun hoping for a cure for the condition, which has turned his skin orange-red and leathery, a condition which I know from my readings on Restoration is not readily contagious, despite the common misconception. Whiterun, however, has no cure for him, and so he offered to accompany me on the road, an offer which I welcome.

  After the shrine, I stopped in at Jorvaskr to let the Companions know that I completed my quest against the Bandits of Amber Guard. I was paid, and the scary one, Skjor, assigned me and Vilkas (or was it his brother, Farkas?) a new task, to recover a fragment of Wuthraad, the axe wielded by the ancient founder of the Companions, Ysgramor. I told Farkas that we would have to wait to set out. I still had to deliver the Stone to the Jarl's wizard. With Odvar at my side I climbed the stairs to Dragonsreach, and to my surprise, the innkeeper from Riverwood was there, talking to the court wizard about dragons! She was heavily disguised, but I'm sure it was her. Of course this is none of my business, so I said nothing, and she left in a hurry when the Dunmer housecarl came into the room with a message.

  The dragon was nearby, attacking the Western Watchtower.

  The Dunmer woman, Irileth, took Odvar and I to see the Jarl. I was awarded a pair of fire resistant boots, and Odvar and I were asked to join the guard in slaying the beast. I was reluctant, but Odvar seemed excited by the prospect. The fight was long, taking several hours, but finally the dragon fell when I of all people struck the final blow, and its soul poured into me.

  The guards, the Jarl, and even the reclusive Graybeards, it would seem, now believe me to be Dragonborn, like Talos of old, simply because I found that when I speak the word "fus", things are pushed away from me. The Graybeards have summoned me to their mountain. I know not why, but I don't think I'll be going quite yet. I need to enchant my gear against fire and temper my weapons and armor, and maybe practice my skills first, for I know something that the others don't as of yet.

  That was a different dragon.

  It is obvious now that the dragons, plural, are returning, and if I am Dragonborn, I'm sure that fate will expect me to play a part in stopping them and preventing another Dragon War. I must be ready. I don't want this responsibility, but if I must shoulder it, I will.

  The Jarl has made me a Thane and offered me a chance to purchase land, but I do not have the money, so once again I sleep on a cot in Jorvaskr. I will head out with Vilkas (or was it Farkas?) tomorrow to find this fragment. Maybe I'll try again tonight to woo Aela. Odvar has made progress with Ria, despite his condition, so you would think that I could find success as well, but Aela is headstrong. Of course that's half the fun.
 
Mods Referenced in the Entry:
-Odvar the Afflicted
-Amber Guard again



No comments:

Post a Comment