Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Last Dragonborn - The Journal of Johan Abbot #3

---Last Seed, 19th, 4E 201---

  When I said that yesterday was my longest, I was wrong. Today was worse. I chose to head straight to Bleak Falls and save the Bandit bounty in Amber Guard for another day, and I'm glad I did. On my way to Bleak Falls Barrow, I encountered a group of three Bandits in a half-ruined tower and dispatched with them easily. Feeling confident, I marched right up to the Barrow further up the mountain and found myself dodging arrows. If not for the help of my conjured wolf, I never would have overcome them, and little did I know that they would be the least of my worries. Inside were a few more Bandits, and then, in a large, web-filled chamber, their leader was strung up by a spider even larger than the ones in the cave in Helgen. I almost turned and ran, and if not for my conjured bow I never could have fought it at all, but I did fight, and I won, freed the Bandit, defeated him, and retrieved the claw for Lucen in Riverwood.

  Now, of course, I had yet to find the stone for the wizard, and the Bandit leader said something about a secret of the claw, so I decided to explore the Barrow further. I assumed that, because the Spider had been guarding this entry into the deeper burial chambers, that there would be nothing further down, but I was sadly mistaken. On our walk from the Helgen caves to Riverwood, Hadvar mentioned that he, as a child, was afraid of the Barrow on the mountain, and the undead Draugr that lurk within.

  He's right to be afraid.

  The Draugr appeared in various states of decay from alcoves in the walls, and coffins lining the floors. They possessed various rusty-yet-durable weapons, and varying degrees of magical powers. One could even shout magic from his throat like Tiber Septim, or Ulfric when he murdered the High King earlier this year! I fought waves of them, ducking through traps and crossing ancient, crumbling ledges as I moved deeper and deeper in, and yet I saw nothing of a stone or a secret...

  ...Until I found the door.

  Three embedded stone rings made a combination lock, which could be deciphered via a pattern on the Golden Claw, and then the Claw was used as a key to loose the door and cause it to drop into the floor. Behind it was a massive natural chamber and a curved wall with ancient glyphs on it, a block of them burning blue. I was drawn to the wall, my ears filled with sounds of chanting in a language that I barely couldn't understand, filling my head with the sound of a single word, "fus", which echoes there even now. I blacked out for a moment, and heard the sound of a lid flung loose of another coffin in the same chamber. In my stupor I'd failed to notice it just behind me.

  From the coffin arose another Draugr, wielding a sword that steamed with an ice enchantment, the Dragon Stone strung to its back. I fought it sword to sword and was quickly outmatched, so I summoned my wolf and backed away, found a good vantage point, and attacked with my Bound Bow until I'd managed to even the odds. Even so my rudimentary skill in Restoration was instrumental in my survival. In only a few minutes I had the Claw and the Stone, and I was on my way back out of the Barrow through a side cavern. I was back in Riverwood by midnight.

    I sit here in the Sleeping Giant Inn, in the same seat in which I sat when I wrote the first entry in this journal. I'm tired, my heart is only now slowing back to its usual rhythm, and I'm eating a bowl of fish soup prepared by the barkeep, because he says its a home remedy for the Ataxia that I've contracted from a Skeever bite. I need to take my mind off of this new, nightmarish life that has found me. The pretty girl who works the shop with Lucen is here. Maybe I'll see if she'd like to provide a distraction.

  Tomorrow I'll return the Claw, and then head early to Amber Guard to fulfill the bounty for the Companions. After a spider the size of house and killer undead, Bandits no longer worry me. It will also give me a chance to try out my new Ice Sword.

  P.S. The inn isn't offering any beds. The inn-keeper is out. I wonder where she went?

Mods Referenced in the Entry:
-The Elder Scrolls: Places (again)

No comments:

Post a Comment