Monday, July 28, 2014

The Last Dragonborn - The Journal of Johan Abbot #10


---Last Seed, 29th, 4E 201---

  While retrieveing Odvar from Jorvaaskr, I decided to stop in and see what Farengar thought of the golden sword I found. He was unsure of its origin, remarking that it resembles the Daedric Artifact called Goldbrand, but that it cannot be, as Goldbrand has not been seen since the Great War. He thinks that it is perhaps a good replica. Its enchantment is stable, and it is sturdy, and of superior quality to my Skyforge Steel blade, so I have decided to carry it as my weapon of choice for the time being.
  On my way back down from the Cloud District I met a local girl named Lucia. She begs for food and coin in the city square, and sleeps on the floor of the Temple of Kynareth, as she has no parents. I spoke to Lydia, and she has agreed to arrange for my spare room to be outfitted as a child's room, and for Lucia to live in Breezehome under her care. Lucia is a sweet girl. Perhaps once I'm ready to settle down a bit, I'll adopt the girl properly. Odvar says that I'm quite the philanthopist, suited to the life of a Thane, but I think he's mocking me, and I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be if he weren't.

   Odvar and I rode the carriage through the night to Riften, sleeping on the way. It wasn't comfortable, but it did save time. Once here Riften became suspect immediately when the guards at the gate tried to shake us down for money, until I threatened to expose their scheme. Inside it became clear that Riften is little more than a slum with walls. It smells bad, is run behind the curtain by a preposterous group calling themselves the Thieves Guild, and the city's one wealthy family, the Black-Briars. I met a tough but beautiful Nord woman named Mjoll and her friend Aerin who agree. Mjoll is a former Adventurer who actively opposes the corruption in Riften. She and I are like-minded, and though she has yet to trust me enough to tell me why she stopped adventuring, she did agree to show me around the city, introducing me to the trustworthier citizens, and to accompany Odvar and I for a while.
  One of the places that Mjoll showed us was the local Temple of Mara, the only public building in the city that doesn't look like it's falling apart, and while there we were, as seasoned Adventurers, offerend a series of tasks by the priestess on Mara's behalf, to spread the cause of love throughout Skyrim. The tasks will not take us too far out of our way, and it is a worty cause. The first of the tasks is in nearby Ivarstead, the gateway town to the Graybeards' mountaintop. I sit here writing as the three of us prepare to set out for the town. We should be able to reach it by foot by tonight, giving me a chance to experience more of the Rift than this one depressing city. Once there I suppose that I'll have to decide once and for all what to do about the summons.

  I will also welcome Mjoll's help dispatching the Silver Hand nearby, though I must decide carefully how much to tell her of the true nature of my mission, and myself. Odvar could not be more accepting of my nature as a werebeast, but Mjoll might not be so forgiving.

  While arriving in town this morning, a dragon flew overhead. It remained just long enough to stir up the guards before it flew off toward the nearby peaks, but I'm sure, depite the morning fog, that it was not the black dragon from Helgen. That is three dragons now that I have seen in a week's time, and it concerns me. I also feel different since my transformation into a Werewolf. I enjoy the taste of raw or hardly-cooked animal meat, and I find that I am more eager to take up arms. Is my new nature doing something to my mind? If so I must strive harder to control it.



Mods Referenced in this Entry:

-Insanity's Goldbrand

No comments:

Post a Comment