Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Happy Birthday Skyrim

I love the Elder Scrolls series of games. When I was in school years ago, a friend of mine had Morrowind, and I loved the design of the game. It managed to feel fantastical and alien at once, and despite the fact that I loathe the game's combat system, it was an experience. As recently as a few months before Skyrim came out, I finally bought and played Oblivion, and while it wasn't as fun, I enjoyed the atmosphere of the central region of the continent of Tamriel, and Cyrodiil became my favorite location in the franchise to date.

However, in Morrowind I mostly ran around exploring Dwemer ruins, and in Oblivion I mostly ran around the woods or Imperial City, or died a lot to Umbra. I never actually got into the stories of the games, or the lore, or the modding community. Skyrim was the game that changed that. Now I love modding other games as well, and I've developed a deep appreciation for the lore of Tamriel, which has become my favorite fantasy world.

At three years old, Skyrim is still a fantastic game with fantastic fan content that I enjoy playing on a regular basis. I plan to start a new play through of the game soon, as a let's play series. Happy birthday, Skyrim, and thanks for being my favorite game.

No comments:

Post a Comment