Saturday, October 26, 2013

TV Reviews - The Goldbergs

Been a while since I've posted here, again *sigh*.

Anyway, The Goldbergs. When I talk about the classic sitcoms from my past that I really love, this is what I'm talking about. The single-camera series based on the youth of series creator Adam F. Goldberg, pulling inspiration from the video he took of his family as a boy (the way the Adam character does in the show) is a classic sitcom masquerading as a modern sitcom. It reminds me of several family sitcoms of the '80's and '90's (as it is clearly designed to do) with a splash of The Wonder Years (which is not  a sitcom as far as I'm concerned, but a dramedy) thrown in for good measure, in that it takes a look at a time one generation behind today, and is narrated by the main character. There is not a character in this show that I don't like. The mother, Beverly, is an evil genius with a heart of gold, meddling in the lives of her family, married to Murray, an outwardly loud and uncaring but inwardly loving working man who does everything for his kids, just not so intrusively as his wife. Adam's sister Erica is just like her mother, in a more reserved way, always playing a part in events from the background. Adam's brother Barry is delightfully odd. Adam's grandfather (Beverly's father) is an aged ladies man with so much style and some of the best lines on the show. Adam himself is the perfect narrator, always watching the world around him and taking stock of everything in it, while still growing and dealing with the issues of youth, his perspective still changing and evolving before the viewer's very eyes.

The elements of this show come together astonishingly well. I have been thoroughly entertained, tickled, and touched by every episode of the show so far. The acting is impeccable (Wendi McLendon-Covey has never been better as Beverly), and the chemistry between these on-screen family members feels real. Absolutely nothing is forced. There has hardly been a scene which felt unnecessary, from Pilot to present. I love this show more than I can find the words to describe here. In fact, after Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., this is my top pick for best new show of the season. Could this show be better? Yeah, there are still a few elements which need to be refined. While I like Erica, I often feel she could be even more involved in things. Yes she's always there, playing a part, but she has gotten far less screen time devoted to her character than I feel anyone else has, despite the second episode focusing on her pretty heavily. Also some of Barry's antics are less funny and more awkward. These, however, are barely complaints, and based on the quality of the show so far, I expect these issues to be hammered out pretty fast. I award The Goldbergs a well-deserved 8.5 out of 10, and recommend that anyone with a love of the situation comedy check it out before they fall too far behind.

I know, I know, this was a short review, but don't be so sad! I'll be posting a review of either Dad's or Sleepy Hollow within the next few days, maybe even tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment